Saturday, October 16, 2010

The issue of race....

isn't mentioned much in our house. We do, of course, realize that we are not the same color
but we've just never seen it as much of an issue.  We are aware of the stares and glances that we sometimes get walking down the street in small town Idaho, but we usually just brush it off. We love one another, and race honestly seems like the least of our differences when you consider that we are also from different cultural and religious backgrounds. 

Today, though, I was reminded that not everyone thinks the same way we do.  I was walking into my apartment building today while talking on the phone, and our upstair neighbor's window opened.  He yelled out "How you doin?" and I responded with a slight wave a roll of the eyes while I continued talking.  He then yelled out, "Don't hate me because I'm white."  I hung up the phone, entered my apartment, and started fuming and shaking.  I know he has seen Lamine and I enter the building together and that it wasn't a dismissive comment.  I went outside when I heard footsteps coming down the stairs, and I did confront them as calmly and respectfully as I could. They did apologize, but I still can't shake it.  This is the first time that anyone here has said anything directly to one of us. 

Lamine has been out with some friends all day, and he stopped by the apartment for just a moment before running out the door again. I gave him a big hug and told him how proud I am to be his wife. I didn't tell him what happened, and I might not ever tell him about this incident, but it makes me sad to think that there are people out there (and nearby) that think that way.  I am so proud, though, to be married to this beautiful, sweet, kind, generous, patient man. 




1 comment:

  1. Hi! I'm your newest follower! I found you on Top Baby Blogs. I love finding new blogs and yours is lovely:) You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

    Your a beautiful couple. CONGRATULATIONS to you both:)

    Also, I have several giveaways all for GORGEOUS handmade baby stuff so check them out of you come by. I'm guessing you would like them:)

    Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete