Friday, November 12, 2010

Language

A lot of people have asked us what or how many languages our son will speak.  Lamine speaks 7 or 8 languages, and I speak 2-ish (English, French, and smatterings of a couple Senegalese languages).  Honestly, I'm not really sure about the answer to this question. Senegal has, I believe, 18 official languages.

Lamine and I mostly speak French with one another, though we're trying to be better about speaking English.  So, I'm sure he'll speak at least French and English.  Lamine has also been trying to teach me Manding, but I've honestly been a terrible student and haven't picked up very much. In any case, Lamine plans on speaking Manding with our son, so I better start picking up more.  I have a feeling he'll also speak Wolof since every time he talks with his family in Senegal, it comes out as a Manding/Wolof/French hybrid.  Who knows. I'm not too concerned about it.  Some people have warned us about language confusion, but Lamine turned out all right and he had many more languages bouncing aroud than our son will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment