Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Confession

Even though I'm about 37 weeks pregnant, I still can't wrap my head around the fact that I'm going to be someone's mom.  I know, in principle, that I'm going to have a baby, and I know Lamine is going to be this little guy's dad.  But me? A mom? No....Not possible.

Another confession?  It makes me really uncomfortable when people jokingly call me "Mom."  For some reason, I don't mind it in French, Wolof, or Manding, but I think it's because those aren't my first languages that I'm somehow removed from it for now.  It reminds me of when I first told Lamine that I loved him. I said it in French, but then I immediately followed it with English because it felt more real, more significant to me.  After a while, the French and Manding "I love you's" took on their own significant meaning, but it took a little while. I needed to settle into it first.  Maybe it's the same way with this whole mom thing. I think it'll take a while for me to settle into it before it becomes real.

No comments:

Post a Comment