Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Weekday Afternoons

My sweet, baby boy, I have spent all afternoon rubbing my cheek against the soft down of your hair, and I have spent all afternoon running my fingers against your round little cheeks, and I have spent all afternoon kissing your perfectly formed lips.  You spent this afternoon sleeping on my chest, even though I know you should get used to sleeping in our crib.  You spent this afternoon with your tiny, rapidly beating heart pressed up against mine, and I whispered to you a million times how much I love you.  You arched your back and pressed your diapered bottom in the air and stretched your arms out toward my face, and you slept this way, your clenched hands at the base of my neck-all afternoon.  I'm going to miss afternoons like this-just you and me wrapped up in one another.  I know we'll still have the mornings and evenings and weekends, but I'm going to miss these weekday afternoons. 


1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way about holding my little boy. I can tell my mom thinks it's so bad to hold him while he naps, but it feels so good! I just put the laptop on my lap and type away :-)
    He is five months and we are just trying to get him used to his crib cause he's getting too heavy lol.

    ReplyDelete