Sunday, July 17, 2011

Scare

Last night we had quite the scare. 

Lamine's prayer mat is right inside our closet door (don't ask me why) which means our closet is never shut.  Sam LOVES sitting on the prayer mat and most of all loves sticking the prayer beads in his mouth (don't worry, they're safe. I've checked.)  Last night, Sam was sitting on the mat, jabbering and drooling on the prayer beads while I sat just next to him.  I had even set out a pillow behind him so that if he fell backwards he wouldn't knock his little noggin on the closet door.

So, there we were, just hanging out, when out of nowhere the closet door falls off it's hinges with Sam sitting right there. Everything was in slow motion.  Samory immediately fell backwards, belly up and facing the falling door. I threw my arms out in front of the door and immediately realized that I couldn't hold it back. The door was so heavy and falling fast and I knew I wasn't at an angle to stop it. I looked at Sam, and you could see his little face braced for the door falling on him. I heard Lamine call out my name but no matter how I reached for the door, it wouldn't stop. I thought it was going to kill him. Thank god Lamine was close and speedy.  He jumped from the bed and caught the door just as it touched the palms of Sam's outreached hands.  I snatched Sam out of the way, and we both cried a little from the scare. 

This door is seriously heavy. Maybe 80 lbs?  I'm still a little shaken up from it.  I can't believe that almost happened. I don't want to think about what could have happened.  Being a mom is terrifying.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I was just nervous reading that. Glad that he is ok!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good god!!! I'm so glad he's ok! Being a parent is seriously a scary experience....love to you all xxxx

    ReplyDelete